Thursday, March 22, 2007

Fabric Easter Egg ATCs

These are my fabric Easter Egg ATCs for an ATC swap on my Fabric in Altered Art Yahoo group hosted by Sharon. The first 2 eggs were decorated with bobbin work. I made the middle one first, cut out the egg shape, and did the bobbin work. Since I was working from the wrong side it was hard to tell where to stop and start. On the one on the left I did the bobbin work on a square piece of fabric, then cut out the egg shape. The 3rd egg is made from ribbon. I printed the egg shape on a piece of lightweight cardstock, covered the shape with glue stick, and laid the pieces of ribbon across the egg shape. When the egg was covered and the glue stick was dry I cut the egg shape out. The easiest one for sure. They were all stitched to a piece of fabric with a decorative stitch, then cut to size and glued to the ATC sized cardstock. I covered the cardstock with fabric front and back and used a satin stitch to cover the edges. The little flowers are attached with a french knot in the center.

Saturday, March 10, 2007

Vintage Babies

This is the page I did for Barb's Vintage Babies book for our fabric altered book round robin in my Fabric in Altered Arts Yahoo group. Barb had the pages with felt batting already cut. I added an eyelet fabric as my base and then the cream and floral print over it. Added some trim on the right hand side with the little heart, button and flower. I used the same fabric on the back and added part of the words to a lullaby with a piece of the border from the cream and floral fabric which had images of sleeping children. This weekend I am working on Hilery's Alice in Wonderland book for the same RR and Barb's Texture/Touch book for our new RR. I plan to add a lot of embroidery and bobbin work to a cream colored crazy quilt block. Wish me luck!

Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Last Wild West Fabric Book

Goodness, it's been a while. I am just about to get caught up and start having fun again. Taking a little trip always seems like a good idea at the time but catching up is a pain! This is my page for the last book I will work in for the Wild West Fabric Book RR on my FabricInAlteredArt group. Still love working with the western stuff. I saw the coolest altered cowboy boot that is in the current edition of Altered Arts magazine. I might have to give that a try.
Debbie had made denim pages for her book. I printed my image on a piece of muslin that was backed with a lightweight fusible. If you iron your muslin to a piece of wonder under and cut it to a size that will work with your printer you can print directly to the muslin. It takes a few minutes longer than the ink jet ready fabric sheets but it sure is a lot cheaper. It works really well with vintage themes or themes where you might want your image to have more of a worn look. I added a piece of lace, a few buttons and some heavy duty western themed alpha stickers. The back has the word COWGIRL with a suede look cowboy hat and a pocket with a leather looking tag. You can take a regular scrapbook tag or heavy card stock cut in a tag shape, crumple it up, ink it with a Tim Holtz distress pad, dampen it with a wet paper towel and smooth it out to dry. Or iron it dry. Then go over it with the distress ink pad again. It will have a nice leather look to it.